Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Art 254 - Magazine Editorial Redesign

For my last project, I'm doing an editorial redesign for Popular Photography. I am using info from the April 2009 issue.

The magazine is pretty much design towards photography enthusiasts. They normally have shooting tips, post production tips, photo contests, and new gear review and recommendation articles.

The magazine has a very clean cut and well structured feel. They use lots of grids and most pages are setup in a 3-4 column format. They have a good mixture of information and also very attractive images. However I found it odd that none of these very powerful images were used on any of the covers for the 3 issues I had, as the front covers only featured images of cameras.

One thing I want to do is add a very powerful image on the front that would quickly grab readers attention. I also wanted to give the design more breathing room in terms of negative space. One thing about the magazine is that they have a lot of information they are plugging into the pages, in nearly all the pages, every square inch is occupied and there is rarely much negative space.

I hope to achieve a unique way of structuring text and body copy that will be as visually engageming as the images that surround them, as compared to the traditional top to bottom left to right equal sized columns.

Below are the three issues of Pop Photography I had to review:
April


May


June



April table of cotents


Here are some of thumbnails of various layout ideas I had


After taking some of my concepts to digital, here is my initial version of the front cover...

No comments:

Post a Comment