Thursday, June 11, 2009

Art 254 - Magazine Editorial Redesign - Final

Popular Photography Magazine Design - continued

Here is the initial layout for the table of contents. I tried keeping the red block with white text consistent with the front cover. I changed the "of" to a script type thinking it was looking too static set in the same type.



I got comments that the front cover's color combination was giving a Christmas feel with the red boxes and green from the image. So I started playing with some different colors, I wanted to make sure that I used some very bold and bright colors that would pop off each other... I also removed the Nikon camera from the cover as it was being a bit distracting. After the camera was removed, I moved the text boxes in the bottom corner down a little to give more space to the image.

First I tried using some bright pinks and yellows. I think this was a little too bright and it didn't compliment the image very well. Plus the color combination isn't one you'd normally find on a photography magazine...


The image has some browns and tan colors so I thought I'd try an orange color. I was happy with how this orange was working with my image and the white text was still able to pop off the orange pretty well.



Here's the intro spread to the article for my editorial redesign. I chose an article about picking full-frame vs cropped smaller cropped sensor cameras.

I wanted the word "full frame" do what it says and take up the whole spread. I am trying to stay consistent with the orange being the main accent color.

I after looking at it again, I felt the orange header box may look a bit too dominant and distracting.


Here's the last spread of the article. I tried giving some fun negative spacing in the layout. The se images are also ones I took. The seagul on the left with the boxes indicates the field of view from the different sensors for the mainstream digital SLR cameras. I wanted to leave one column empty for negative space of the first page but with it being such a large open space with the other side being so tight I felt it was giving a bad tension.




FINAL VERSIONS
Front cover:




Table of contents

Updated colors to match front cover and updated the page numbering.


Article Spread 1

I decided to remove the big orange box and just have the header text in black. I think it was competing too much and being distracting.


Article Spread 2

I decided to center the two columns of the first page to give it more balance, there was just too much tension with both columns on the right of the page.

1 comment:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete